Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I had downloaded some movies from the internet when I had access to ADSL, but I hadn’t had the time to watch all of them. During last week I’ve had more free time and therefore, I’ve watched those I hadn’t seen among which was “The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.” It’s the story of a man whose growing up is backwards, meaning he gets younger instead of getting older; however, this doesn’t happen on the inside: emotion wise and maturity wise he becomes older. It’s a paradox, isn’t it? It reminded me how blessed we are to get old.
The actor in the leading role was Brad Pitt and the actress in the supporting role was Cate Blanchett. I think they acted perfectly well, especially Brad Pitt. No wonder why these actors win the academy award or get nominated for that; they’re geniuses in their field of work.
The bulk of the movie starts in a room in a hospital. A very old woman who’s on the verge of dying is accompanied by her daughter because the nurse has to pick her child up from somewhere. The old lady could pass any minute, but for the daughter it’s a blessing to be beside her and to have a chance to say goodbye to her beloved mother. They start talking and the mother asks her daughter to find a diary in her suitcase and read it aloud to her. The Diary had been written by Benjamin Button: how he grew up, what his life was like, and the complete story of his life. While reading the diary, the daughter finds out that the woman Benjamin had been in love with had been her mother and that he was her father and had to leave them despite loving them because he couldn’t do anything else. He had been forced to leave them and watch his loved ones live with a stranger because he knew at the time his daughter would be a teenager, he would become a teenager himself. He had to sacrifice his love.
Although the story was completely peculiar, the movie was so real and it was depicted so beautifully that I couldn’t help myself crying at some scenes. I liked the part in which Benjamin and his love were finally together; it was moving and romantic.
All in all, I recommend this movie to you; it sure is worth watching.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the movie around 4 months ago. Some friends of mine told me it ain't worth watching, but it was. I enjoyed watching it. By the way, don't you think that you have told every thing about the movie so that there is no need for your readers to watch it?! :P

    Some days ago I watched "You don't mess with Zohan", if you wanna laugh to Adam Sandler then you should watch this movie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right :D I shouldn't have mentioned the details! It's just that I was too excited ;)
    I'll definitely watch the movie "You don't mess with Zohan" if you say it's good, because I'm totally in favor of comedies.

    ReplyDelete